Safe, durable battery storage solutions
The Avalon™ Flow Battery, with its proprietary vanadium-based chemistry, is the world’s first totally turn-key, fully-integrated flow battery. The AFB ships from Avalon’s factory 100% functionally tested, requiring no ancillary systems, secondary containment, electrolyte filling or secondary electrical connections on site. This configuration allows site costs to be kept to an absolute minimum, and yields installation times of less than two hours per unit.
Rated power, continuous
Energy Storage, Nominal
Energy Storage, Duration
Module Size (L x W x H)
-5°C to 45°C (standard)
The Avalon™ Flow Battery’s exceptional durability outperforms both existing and emerging battery technologies. In addition, the vanadium flow technology is safe, fault-tolerant, and capable of being flexibly deployed to serve applications from 10kW to the MW scale.
- Exceptional durability of >20,000 cycles without capacity fade
- Safe, external fault tolerant operation
- Exceptionally low fire risk
- Arrays from 5 kW to 5 MW
- Round trip energy efficiency: 80%
- Allowable depth of discharge: 100% every cycle
- Avalon proprietary Vanadium flow battery technology
- Nominal 480 VAC, 3 phase AC/DC bi-directional power converter
- Thermal management system
- Proprietary battery management system and automated charge/discharge controls
- Integrated safety (spill containment)
- Indoor/outdoor enclosure system for “plug-and-play” installation
The component in Avalon’s battery that does most of the heavy lifting is vanadium.
Vanadium is a non-toxic, widely-available metal that is typically used for strengthening steel, lightening titanium alloys and even as a dietary supplement. Vanadium is produced globally, either by recycling wastes from power generation or steel manufacturing, or from primary mining operations. Massive vanadium reserves are present in the USA, Canada, China, Brazil and South Africa; no significant sources currently exist within so-called “conflict regions”.
The exceptional durability, performance and safety of the Avalon™ Flow Battery has been repeatedly validated by third-party independent engineers and regulatory agencies. We would be thrilled to share these results with you; contact us for more information.